TDK is the first company worldwide to commercially produce ferrite, a magnetic material originating in Japan. Taking this as a starting point, TDK has been developing various electronic materials. With accumulated materials technology know-how as its core competence, TDK contributes significantly to the advancement of the "electronics society" by offering a wide range of electronic components and devices.
IEEE Milestone commemorative plaque
Ferrite is a revolutionary magnetic material that was invented in Japan in 1930 by Dr. Yogoro Kato and Dr. Takeshi Takei of the Tokyo Institute of Technology. IEEE Milestones are a program that recognizes historical achievements that have made significant contributions to society and industry in the electrical, electronics, and related fields. In 2009, the "Development of Ferrite Materials and Their Applications" by the Tokyo Institute of Technology and TDK was awarded the honor of being designated the 89th IEEE Milestone, and the 10th from Japan.
The Spirit of Innovation Still Creates New Value
Starting with the advantage in materials technology gained through the involvement with ferrite, TDK progressed to develop process technology to bring out the best qualities of the source material. During the development and design stages of a product, evaluation and simulation technology is vital to achieve the intended result.
The spirit of craftsmanship that characterizes TDK is evident in our production technology, and the combination of multiple components to form a high-performance functional entity is sustained by device & module technology. Together, these core competencies form the basis for TDK's worldwide business operations.
To support business activities and product development in tune with the age of clean energy, TDK is promoting eco-friendly environment-conscious products that help reduce energy needs, both when products are manufactured and when they are actually used.
Among its wide range of environment-conscious products, TDK has identified those that effectively reduce the environmental burden and take the lead in the industry.
This is the "Eco Love" category. Products that are particularly effective in reducing the environmental burden and that integrate top-class technology, functionality, and form are certified as "Super Eco Love."
Recommended Super Eco Love Products
Research and development activities play a vital role in the growth of TDK. They are the driving force that propels both us and our customers into the future. TDK has organized its R & D network around four key bases that span the globe.
- Europe is the leading market for mobile phones, boasting top-level development technology standards in devices and modules for mobile communications equipment.
- The market requires high-performance batteries, both for HEVs and EVs and for mobile devices. In Asia, our R & D bases are focusing in particular on electrode materials, and in conjunction with the base in Japan, on magnetic materials and dielectric materials.
- In Japan, where development and product creation technologies are concentrated, latest data about worldwide market trends and new standards are compiled and reflected in the development of leading-edge products and new technologies. Test production and reviews for mass production are also carried out in a cooperative framework involving the four key bases in Japan, Asia, Europe and America.
- North America is the place where new communications standards emerge. We are engaged in design, development and evaluation of wireless antennas, and also conduct precision evaluation and measurement of communications equipment that utilizes extremely faint electromagnetic waves.
- High-frequency devices, dielectric and piezoelectric components
- SAW, sensors, capacitors, inductors
- Electrode materials
- Magnetic materials, dielectric materials
- Ferrite, dielectric/piezoelectric elements, magnets
- Magnetic heads
- Blu-ray discs
- Next-generation electronic componentss
- Microstructure analysis and elemental analysis of new materials
- Power supplies
- RF antennas
- Magnetic heads
- Smart Grid
- Power supplies
Devices Development CenterBased on TDK core technologies and market trend data, the center identifies areas of particular interest and pursues development of new devices.
Materials & Process Development CenterPursues the development and refinement of materials technology and process technology with a view towards establishing core technologies, while anticipating new trends and new product developments.
Application & Analysis CenterWhile strengthening and expanding materials analysis technology on a company-wide basis, the center also works towards solving technical challenges and developing new products reflected on the road map.
Production Engineering CenterDevelops manufacturing equipment and technology that sustains our product creation process and works towards more sophisticated integration on a global scale.