TDK Launches SATA II SSD SDG3B Series of
High-Reliability, Serial ATA 3 Gbps Compatible Solid State Drives
- High-Speed, Long-Life SATA Flash Drive Uses TDK GBDriver RS3 SATA Controller ICs Auto-Refresh Functions and Internal Power Supply Backup Protection Circuit Provide High Tolerance Against Power Supply Problems -
August 4, 2011
TDK Corporation announced today the launch in late September 2011 of the SDG3B series of serial ATA II compatible industrial solid state drives (SSDs) with a maximum capacity of 128 GByte.
The SDG3B drives are industrial SSDs that use the TDK GBDriver RS3 series of SSD controller ICs. Even though they are not equipped with cache memory, the drives still support an effective read speed of 160 MB/s.
TDK enhanced data reliability, a key requirement for embedded SSDs. In addition to the existing auto-recovery functions and the power interruption tolerance algorithm, the SSDs are also equipped with a powerful error-correction function scalable to 44-bit/sector error correction code (ECC) and an auto-refresh function to provide powerful tolerance against power supply problems.
In addition, TDK substantially improved the SSD lifespan. An advanced static wear leveling function and a new data randomizer function, both developed by TDK, distribute data writing among all of the flash memory blocks, maximizing the lifespan of the semiconductor storage. Also, SMART (self-monitoring and analysis reporting technology) data makes it possible to determine in real time the number of times each memory block is rewritten (erased), facilitating quantitative assessment and projection of drive life on user systems.
The drives also feature an advanced encryption function using the 128-bit AES encryption that has been registered as United States Department of Commerce Federal Information Processing Standards FIPS PUB 197. Data is automatically encrypted before writing to the flash memory, preventing data leaks and tampering. Furthermore, the drives provide a high level of storage security, preventing unauthorized copying and other data risks by using the ATA standard security functions.
The TDK SDG3B series of industrial SSDs are SATA flash memory drives ideal for use as replacements for hard disc drives in industrial equipment and embedded devices. They provide high-speed performance, data reliability, storage lifespan, and data security at the highest levels in the industry.
Series TDK RS3 series of serial ATA II interface solid state drives Models SDG3B series Capacity 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB, 128 GB Configuration 2.5-inch SATA Onboard memory SLC (single-level cell)
NAND Flash memory
MLC (multi-level cell)
NAND Flash memory
Onboard controller TDK GBDriver RS3 Interface Serial ATA Revision 2.6 Data transfer modes SATA Gen1: 1.5 Gbps, Gen2: 3.0 Gbps Data transfer speeds*1 Read (Max) 160 MB/s 160 MB/s Write (Max) 60 MB/s 25 MB/s Error correction
8 bit/15 bit (512 Byte), 30 bit/44 bit (1,024 Byte) Rewritable life span*2 50,000 times × Number of valid blocks regardless of the presence of fixed blocks (e.g., in the case of a 64 GB SSD, 6.2 billion times) SMART data provides information on drive status in real time (the number of times each memory block has been rewritten can be grasped) 1,500 times × Number of valid blocks regardless of the presence of fixed blocks (e.g., in the case of a 128 GB SSD, 190 million times) SMART data provides information on drive status in real time (the number of times each memory block has been rewritten can be grasped) Vibration resistance 15 G (when operating) Shock resistance 1,500 G (when not operating) MTBF 500,000 hours Operating temperature range 0°C to 70°C
(-40°C to 85°C industrial option)
0°C to 70°C Storage temperature
-40°C - 85°C Storage/operating humidity range 0% to 90% RH(without condensation) Power supply voltage 5 V ± 10% Certifications CE/FCC/VCCI Environmental specifications RoHS compliant Production site Taiwan
- Thin client PCs, tablet PCs, etc.
- Automotive devices such as car navigation systems and portable navigation devices (PNDs)
- Office equipment such as multi-function printers (MFPs) and commercial projectors
- Amusement devices such as karaoke on demand and arcade games
- Factory automation equipment such as NC machine tools, sequencers, PLCs, panel computers, touch panel systems, and embedded CPU boards
- Data server and cloud computing systems such as RAID servers and enterprise servers
- Railway and transport equipment such as automated ticket gates, automated ticket vending machines, commuter pass vending machines, automated air ticket vending machines, and automated check-in systems
- Smart grid systems such as smart meters, power network communications infrastructure, electric power equipment automatic control systems, and energy management systems
- Banking terminals such as POS devices, convenience store and kiosk terminals, and ATMs.
- Medical and measuring instruments and nursing-care equipment such as diagnostic imaging systems, blood analysis equipment, medical PCs, electronic records systems, and bedside monitors.
- Communications and broadcasting equipment and information system devices for base stations such as third-generation mobile phone (LTE) data communications systems
- Security terminals and security devices such as digital signage, entry control systems, and monitoring cameras.
- Disaster prevention related equipment such as earthquake early warning systems and household fire detectors.
- Uses GBDriver RS3 NAND Flash Memory Controller ICs Developed by TDK
The memory controller IC determines SSD performance and data reliability. The drives use the GBDriver RS3 series of NAND flash memory controller ICs developed by TDK. By reflecting the latest NAND flash memory specifications and developments in the controller design, TDK enhances performance as NAND flash drives and ensures compatibility among flash memory generations. This means that the same product line can meet the flash storage needs of industrial and embedded applications and make suitable proposals for enhanced replacement products.
- High-Speed Access
Compliant with Serial ATA Revision 2.6 Specification. Compatible with Gen.1 (1.5 Gbps), and Gen.2 (3.0 Gbps). Supports read access speeds up to 160 MByte/second and write access speeds up to 60 MByte/second*3 with no DRAM or other cache while maintaining high reliability.
- Error Correction and Recovery
A flash identification function enables selection of 8 bit/sector ECC, 15 bit/sector ECC, 30 bit/sector ECC or 44 bit/sector ECC to provide error correction capabilities with room to accommodate future NAND developments. An auto-recovery function is also included to correct bit errors automatically when reading data repeatedly (read-disturbance errors).
- Static Wear Leveling Function (TSK Smart Swap) for All Blocks
A static wear leveling algorithm developed by TDK counts the number of times each memory block is rewritten (erased) and replaces blocks uniformly. Fixed blocks such as OS/FAT are also periodically equalized (global wear leveling) among all blocks without restriction to flash memory chips or management zones, making it possible to maximize the lifespan of the installed flash memory and substantially lengthening the lifespan of flash memory storage.
- SMART Command Support
The number of times each memory block is rewritten (erased) can be obtained using SMART Command, which allows for easy determination of NAND flash memory status and facilitates appropriate lifespan management. The use of TDK SMART data increases the precision of RAS (reliability, availability, and serviceability) functions.
- Improved Power Interruption Tolerance
A power interruption tolerance algorithm on the SSD onboard controller completely prevents collateral data errors such as corruption of data other than the data being written if power is interrupted when writing data. In addition, an internal power supply protection circuit prevents power interruption errors, providing robust reliability against sudden power supply problems.
- Auto Refresh Function
Data stored on the flash memory is periodically read to detect bit errors and perform necessary error correction. When working in collaboration with the existing auto-recovery function, the auto refresh function can prevent data loss from read disturbance errors and data maintenance errors. Processing is performed in the background, so even when performing correction processing, there is virtually no delay in command response.
- Data Randomizer Function
The writing data pattern is randomized to eliminate data pattern disparities and enhance data reliability, particularly with MLC flash memories.
- Automated Encryption Using 128-bit AES
A 128-bit AES encryption function automatically encrypts data and writes it to the NAND flash memory, preventing leaks of and tampering with personal data and confidential information.
- Other Functions (Optional)
(a) Total Sector Number-Setting Function
The number of logical blocks allocated to a data area can be adjusted up or down in individual sector units. For example, the number of times data can be written can be increased by reducing the number of logical blocks in the data area. Conversely, in the case of applications that do not require an extended life span, the memory capacity can be maximized by increasing the number of logical blocks in the data area. CHS settings can be freely adjusted for easy installation with customer systems such as creating SATA RAID systems with high compatibility levels.
(b) Protection (Password) Function
Incorporation of an ATA-standard protection function allows customers to set and remove a password to protect important data.
- Aluminum Case
The use of an aluminum case greatly increases shock and thermal resistance
- Solution Support
TDK has independently developed and marketed the GBDriver series of NAND Flash memory controllers since 2000 and provides technical support to customers in Japan and overseas backed up by its advanced technologies including dispatch of field application engineers and implementation of reliability monitoring functions, for which there is strong demand in the industrial equipment embedded flash storage market.
- Uses GBDriver RS3 NAND Flash Memory Controller ICs Developed by TDK
Production and Sales Plans
- Production location: Taiwan
- Production capacity: 10,000 units/month at launch
- Start of production: September 2011
|1. & 3.||Onboard SLC Flash memory. During four-channel interleave connection.
May vary depending on the system environment.
|2.||When 8 Kbyte/page structure NAND Flash memory is used.|
For further information, contact Mr.Osuga in the Corporate Communications Dept.