Multilayer ceramic chip capacitors: High-capacitance X8R MLCCs for high temperatures up to 150 °C
- New dielectric material boosts capacitance by a factor of up to two
- X8R temperature characteristics assure reliable operation under harsh temperature conditions in engine compartments
April 26, 2012
TDK Corporation has expanded its portfolio of TDK X8R multilayer ceramic chip capacitors with new types that offer up to twice the capacitance of existing components with the same dimensions. At the same time, they are able to withstand the high operating temperatures encountered in car engine compartments. These advances were made possible by the development of a new dielectric material that maintains excellent reliability and thermal characteristics even in extreme environments. The new X8R MLCCs are available for rated voltages of 16, 25, 50 V DC and cover a capacitance range of between 10 nF and 10 µF. They are available in case sizes of between 1005 and 3225, depending on their voltage and capacitance values. Mass production of types in case sizes 3225 (16 V, 10 µF max.) and 3216 (25 V, 2.2 µF max. and 50 V, 1 µF max.) started in April 2012.
As more and more electronics systems have to fit into the limited space of a car, miniaturization remains one of the mega trends driving automotive electronics. Responding to the market needs, TDK has harnessed its extensive knowledge in both materials and multilayer technologies to develop MLCCs that maintain the required reliability while offering higher capacitance ratings in ever smaller form factors. The new X8R MLCCs feature a temperature range from -55 to +150 °C with a maximum capacitance drift of ±15 percent, a key requirement for applications in the engine compartments of cars. They also offer outstanding smoothing circuit performance, for example, in switch-mode power supplies required by industrial equipment. In all cases, customers will benefit from components that can both save space and reduce the parts count.
- Smoothing circuit: an electronic circuit for minimizing the ripple in rectified current. This is achieved through the use of capacitors and inductors that produce a stable output voltage.
- Smoothing circuits and decoupling applications in ECUs used in the engine compartments
- Smoothing and decoupling applications in switch-mode power supplies for industrial equipment
Main features and benefits
- X8R temperature characteristics (temperature range -55 to +150 °C with a capacitance drift of ±15 percent)
- Up to twice the rated capacitance of existing TDK MLCCs thanks to a new dielectric material with outstanding reliability and thermal characteristics
1005 (0402) 0.55 max. 50 0.01 1608 (0603) 0.95 max. 50 0.1 2012 (0805) 1.45 max. 50 0.22 3216 (1206) 1.80 max. 50 1 3225 (1210) 2.80 max. 16 10
About TDK Corporation
TDK Corporation is a leading electronics company based in Tokyo, Japan. It was established in 1935 to commercialize ferrite, a key material in electronic and magnetic products. TDK's current product line includes passive components, magnetic application products as well as energy devices, flash memory application devices, and others. TDK today focuses on demanding markets in the areas of information and communication technology and consumer, automotive and industrial electronics. The company has a network of design and manufacturing locations and sales offices in Asia, Europe, and in North and South America. In fiscal 2011, TDK posted total sales of USD 10.6 billion and employed about 88,000 people worldwide.
About TDK-EPC Corporation
TDK-EPC Corporation, a TDK group company, is a leading manufacturer of electronic components, modules and systems, headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. TDK-EPC was founded in 2009 from the combination of the passive components business of TDK and the EPCOS Group. The portfolio includes ceramic, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors, ferrites and inductors, magnets, high-frequency components such as surface acoustic wave (SAW) filter products and modules, piezo and protection components, and sensors. The company markets the product brands TDK and EPCOS.
- Product with background (JPG: 997 KB; 350 dpi)
- Product without background (JPG: 932 KB; 350 dpi)
- Press release (PDF: 75 KB)
- Press release (RTF: 168 KB)
Contacts for regional media
|Japan||Mr. Yoichi Osuga||TDK Corporation
|ASEAN||Ms. Tomoko Kameda||TDK Singapore (Pte) Ltd.
|+65 6273 email@example.com|
|Greater China||Ms. Clover XU||TDK China Co., Ltd.
|+86 21 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Europe||Mr. Frank Trampnau||TDK Electronics Europe GmbH
|+49 211 9077 email@example.com|
|America||Ms. Sara M. Reynoso||TDK Corporation of America
Irving, TX/ USA