Multilayer ceramic chip capacitors: MLCCs with a rated AC withstanding voltage
- Optimized internal electrode design improves AC withstanding voltage
July 26, 2012
TDK Corporation has developed a multilayer ceramic chip capacitor that ? in addition to its rated DC voltage of 630 V ? can withstand a rated AC voltage of 500 VRMS for 60 s and 600 VRMS for 3 s. Thanks to its optimized internal electrode structure the new TDK C3216 and C3225 types exhibit superior AC withstanding voltage, allowing guaranteed ratings to be given not only for the customary DC voltages but also for AC voltages.
The new MLCC is available in two form factors: 3216 and 3225 (IEC). The C3216 type is available for a capacitance range from 1.0 nF to 15.0 nF, while the C3225 type offers a capacitance value of 22.0 nF. Mass production of the new TDK MLCCs started in July 2012.
The main applications for the MLCCs are DC-DC converters and AC-DC converters, as well as noise filters requiring superior AC strength. The thermal characteristics of the new components are compliant with X7R specifications (temperature range from -55 °C to +125 °C, capacitance tolerance of ±15 percent).
- AC withstanding voltage: the AC voltage (VRMS) that the capacitor can withstand for a defined time while maintaining its function in the application
- AC-DC converters between the secondary circuit and frame ground
- DC-DC converters between the primary and secondary circuit
Main features and benefits
- Optimized electrode structure results in superior AC voltage strength
- Thermal characteristics are compliant with X7R specifications (temperature range from -55 °C to +125 °C, capacitance tolerance of ±15 percent)
Rated AC withstanding voltage
Thermal characteristics C3216 3.2 x 1.6 x 1.6 1.0 500* / 600** 1.0 to 15.0 X7R C3225 3.2 x 2.5 x 2.3 2.2 500* / 600** 22.0 X7R
- * Voltage applied for 60 s
- ** Voltage applied for 3 s
About TDK Corporation
TDK Corporation is a leading electronics company based in Tokyo, Japan. It was established in 1935 to commercialize ferrite, a key material in electronic and magnetic products. TDK's current product line includes passive components, magnetic application products as well as energy devices, flash memory application devices, and others. TDK today focuses on demanding markets in the areas of information and communication technology and consumer, automotive and industrial electronics. The company has a network of design and manufacturing locations and sales offices in Asia, Europe, and in North and South America. In fiscal 2012, TDK posted total sales of USD 9.9 billion and employed about 79,000 people worldwide.
About TDK-EPC Corporation
TDK-EPC Corporation, a TDK group company, is a leading manufacturer of electronic components, modules and systems, headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. TDK-EPC was founded in 2009 from the combination of the passive components business of TDK and the EPCOS Group. The portfolio includes ceramic, aluminum electrolytic and film capacitors, ferrites and inductors, magnets, high-frequency components such as surface acoustic wave (SAW) filter products and modules, piezo and protection components, and sensors. The company markets the product brands TDK and EPCOS.
- Product with background (JPG: 367 KB; 350 dpi)
- Product without background (JPG: 744 KB; 350 dpi)
- Press release (PDF: 38 KB)
- Press release (RTF: 135 KB)
Contacts for regional media
|Japan||Ms. Mari KONISHI||TDK Corporation
|ASEAN||Ms. Tomoko KAMEDA||TDK Singapore (Pte) Ltd.
|+65 6273 email@example.com|
|Greater China||Ms. Clover XU||TDK China Co., Ltd.
|+86 21 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Europe||Mr. Frank TRAMPNAU||TDK Electronics Europe GmbH
|+49 211 9077 email@example.com|
|America||Ms. Sara M. REYNOSO||TDK Corporation of America
Irving, TX/ USA